Finished Quilts

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Like water for chocolate

One of my favourite books when I was younger was "Like Water For Chocolate" - I think I bought a copy for nearly everyone I knew.  The book is broken down into 12 chapters each of which starts with a recipe.  One of the themes of the book is that the emotional state of the person cooking that recipe made its way into the food and so the people who ate the food experienced the emotions too.  So if the person was cried into the coup they were making, the people eating it would be overcome with grief.  This past week I have been wondering if this actually relates to real life. 

I've been trying to get on top of some of the bees and swaps I signed up for at the same time as battling my boys' poo&vom/return to work/being mrs grumps of grumpville/the mother of all headaches.  I think that much of this has affected my work....fabric not cut properly, sewing machine taking on the grumpster mantle, purse frames with a mind of their own.... the list goes on.  However, on Sunday I decided that I was bored with being grumpy and given that it was at least 24 hours since someone in the house had thrown up, it was time to embrace the happy.  It hasn't been all plain sailing since but I've persevered and feel better for it.

So on to the finishes over the past few days....

In The Frame Purse Swap

Well, it's not bad.  I had a 'mare getting the purse into the frame and there is glueage and a little squintyness [cf. technical terms].  I got some really nice comments on Flickr and it's lined with some nice pink Mendicino but I'm still not sure it is good enough to send.  I don't have any of the iridescent blue fabric left so it will have to be a new design.  I don't have much time to make up me mind though so I'll have some IRL people have a look and let me know if it is ok.

QATWII Bee

A note of caution - the photos are rubbish!

My "summer fun" block

together with Phoung's starter block (which is the most beautifully put together thing I have ever seen!)
The brief was a block to represent a vision of summer keeping in the grren/pink/brown/cream colourway.  I am quite chuffed with this, even though it took me three attempts to get the final border right to ensure the block is 12.5" square.  And to think, I run a university maths support project!  *shamefaced*.

FQR Kinky Bee

again, apologies for the photo - there was no light :(
The lovely Kelly Jeliquilts was first up in the Kinky Bumble Bees and she asked for circles.  I really enjoyed making this and would like to apologies to Kelly for the slightly cack machine applique - I kept getting a little over excited and strayed a couple of times.  I would blame the sugar rush from the Curly Wurly but I ate that a week before!

So there is something to be said for leaving the bad stuff at the door :). 

5 comments:

  1. Gosh that does ring true. When you're not in the mood to do something it really shows!
    The blocks you've made look awesome! Happy sewing is a great way to go =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are recovering from a case of the grumps - myabe it shows up in the cooking, but your sewing projects look totally happy happy joy joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the grumps have buggered off - your blocks and purse look great, especially mine which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read that book but maybe I should?! Great blocks and I like the purse frame! Glad you can embrace the happy - more curly wurlys I say!! I have been craving them recently ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that book too! I adore that purse - the blue looks perfect and I'm a big fan of cerise and that blue at the moment.

    ReplyDelete