Finished Quilts

Sunday 19 May 2013

socialite? moi?

I feel a little sheepish - the week I host the slow blogger linky party and I am blogging more than usual.  That's just the way it rolls I guess.  And I am just stoked at my latest  (almost) finish, my first for the me me me bee.  Using the AMH Socialite dress pattern I have had for a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ages, I made my first ever top....

I still need to hem it
Here's the thing...it's got no sleeves and it's brown so it's not my usual type of thing.  Obviously it will only be worn with a cardigan. And the colours mean that it could be a cardigan in a number of hues. #result.  It's not finished yet...I still have to hem it (I'm thinking just lower than my hips - sort of a short tunic) and "serge" the seams.  I was planning to do French seams but chickened out last minute and regret that a bit. The gathering around the neckline could have been better. It is so not perfect but I learned heaps making it, like I need to be patient when I cut out, that I'm pretty good at free cutting with a rotary cutter (again slow and steady), that my seam accuracy needs some work, that pinning, pinning, pinning is the way forward.  Och, and loads of other stuff. I could have fussy cut the fabric for the neck line maybe. Oh, and it rammed home how untidy I am as a creative person. There is sh*t everywhere.

I am in love with it, even though it's a teeny bit nippit* and Laughing Boy is less than enthusiastic about it. I am eternally grateful to lovely Di for "lending" me her steam a seam stuff (meant to be for my weekender bag *blush*) which I used to help finish the neckline seams neat and tidy. And, it has made me feel that I can work on stuff for other people this week without being grumpy about it - kind of taking the pressure off - which makes it a win-win AND is totally what the me me me bee is all about  :).  I'm off to sew a kettleboiler label into my new top and plan my school house tunic *wanders off, dazed with delight*

* nippit - Scottish for a little snug

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, very glam! What a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love it.... you have to wear this on 1st June when we meet up. I so want to get into making clothes for Meeeeee - and have joined your me me me bee! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fab can't wait to see it. I'd love to make clothes but I'm really nervous. You have inspired me to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, its fantastic. I have been itching to make some dresses, but just don't have the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! You're right teaming it with different coloured cardigans will give you completely different looks. I've decided that I'm definitely going to start making clothes for myself but I'm going to practice on the mini mes first! (Oh and thanks for the Scottish lesson! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is brilliant. You are really inspiring me. As Tanya says wear it for the next EMMQG meeting, pleeease. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressed Moira! I really like it - hope it makes it to the FQR later this year? The fabric really suits this pattern. And there's plenty of time for french seams for another day. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great from here, but please can we see you wearing it? It makes such a difference to the look of a top. However I've almost finished 2 pieces of clothing this month and not sure you'll see those on me - ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome top! I knew you were squirrelling away making something cool. First of many - yes???? Love to all the Kettleboilers ce soir! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! I've made that pattern (as a dress) and that nightline gave me nightmares… Mine's a little nippit as well. I think I stop here for the heritage vocabulary as much as your makings. lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite the brown it is lovely, great make, and yes we want to see it on the 1st :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks fab and don't mind brown tops ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! And French seams are easy, definitely try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks lovely! Good for you for making something for yourself, it turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a lover of brown either but this is lovely! We need a picture of it being modelled (nippit or not!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great Moira, well done you! Dressmaking scares the life out of me :)

    ReplyDelete