Finished Quilts

Wednesday 22 May 2013

wip wednesday - PTS 10

First up, thanks for all your kind comments on my Socialite top.  I would have included an "action" shot but we don't have any big mirrors in the house and Laughing Boy hates taking photos so I'll try to get one taken by someone else at the weekend.

Now, I don't normally do WIP Wednesdays usually because I don't feel I have much to show.  The week I decide to join in turns out to be the week Lee @ Freshly Pieced decides not to hold her linky party.  Och well.  I'll share anyway. 

One night a few weeks back, in a brave attempt to avoid late night fabric shopping, I found myself on Flickr and signing up for the Pillow Talk Swap 10 swap.  I think it was this one that tipped me over the edge and made me realise that I needed to stop swapping for a while.  Don't get me wrong, I am stoked to be part of this swap.  It's just that I'm a little intimidated by the amazing loveliness that everyone makes so for me PTS has meant Pre-Trauma Stress!  I have a very talented partner and had a pretty good idea what I wanted to make.  That was until I was inspired to travel a different path when I saw this on one of Jo's Pinterest boards:



It's gorgeous huh? A year or so ago I would have tried to make a slavish copy.  Instead I've used it as my inspiration to make this:


needs an iron!
Now I was really sceptical half way through making the 64 paper pieced blocks that make up this top but, now that it's done, I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out.  I AM worried that it doesn't really follow my partner's brief, although she mentioned that she likes grey, blue and green (although she did say emerald green) but her inspiration mosaic had a number of triangle based things.  She's a little quiet on Flickr at the moment so I'm not sure I'll get any feedback on this.  The big question (as usual) is whether to make something else as a back up, just in case.... or to just go with it.  My plan is to do some dense straight line quilting with a zip at the end seam and a blue and grey back so it can be used either side.

The other thing is that it's pretty big - I got the maths a bit wrong.  I'm talking 20" square finished so it'll need a bigger form than requested too - I may send a form with it to make up for my oops.  It needs to be in the post next week to meet the deadlines so I'll plough on and make a final decision when it's done and done.






15 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous! I'm sure your partner will love it but I know what you mean about swap stress, particularly if you don't get any feedback :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go with it - how can anyone not like this?? It's completely gorgeous, but Iike Sarah says, swapping is too stressful sometimes! I'm on a self imposed ban :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is beautiful!! Go with it indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't dither or change your mind. You made it for your partner and it is gorgeous. Put it in the post Mrs. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you used your inspiration cushion and made a beauty of your own!I would completely love this, so soldier on Moira! This swap scares me, so I have never tried to get in, so good for you for taking the leap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always good to use others work as inspiration but to forge your own path, this has worked out great! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go with this one - it is fabulous!! And it has her colours and triangles. Really, what's there to be anxious about? You did good with your inspiration, mate, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to favourite that photo the second I saw it at lunch today.

    I also owe you an email. It's coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your cushion. I'm also a bit worried that I've gone a bit off brief for my partner (who is also quiet) but it's very hard not to make things in your own style, even if you are consciously trying not to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go with it, think of all the time you have put into it, it's looking great, can't wait to see it quilted. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely, but if it really really is too big, could you take out one column and one row and then use those in something else?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally gorgeous Moira, I'd go with it. I also agree with Penny that ( if necessary) you could always reduce it in size by one row and one column.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moira I think you have aced this big time - it is AMAZING! I'm pretty certain I'm not your partner, but man I wish I was!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HELP I signed on to follow you and join the me me me bee challenge through google and now unfortunately when I go to my blogger dashboard all your posts you have ever posted have appeared and I cannot seem to remove them, have cancelled following you through google and gone over to email but need to clear all the posts from my blogger and just have the last one, can you help. This has njever happened before.

    ReplyDelete