The usual pattern for the first post of the year is to do a review of the past year's makes and set out a plan for the coming year. I'm going to divert slightly from that, partly because of my miserly output in 2014. A grand total of two quilts, a shed load of bee blocks (but not as many as planned as I decided to take time out of of the current Bumbling Honeys Bee) and some other odds and sods. I say two quilts but I realise I've just shown you one so here is the second, a swap for the #IGminiquilt swap thingy. My partner was pretty vague (like I usually am) but had this image on a pinterest board about her favourite quilt colours....
|from a great site : http://www.inaluxe.com/|
|paper pieced from a made up, slightly wonky hand drawn pattern|
I was fortunate enough to have Nikki from the Ochil Tree as my making partner. I have long been a major fan of Nikki's work so was stoked with this lovely Cotton & Steel creation...
|usual apologies for crap photo|
On Hogmanay, I spent two hours in a loud (but I have to say quite lovely) soft play centre where the wee man hooned around and I tried to draft my crafting goals for 2015. The notebook I used had my "to do" list for 2013 and 2014 and it would seem that I have achieved almost nothing from either list. I could cross out 2014 and write 2015 (which is basically what I did in last year) but no. I have a slightly different plan. Use what I have learned, namely:
- setting goals for the year doesn't really work as it is easy to think "manana, manana". Perhaps setting myself a monthly make or WIP to complete would work better. Chunk things down, as it were.
- I use "fear" as an excuse not to start things. Even things I've done before so shouldn't be frightened of.
- I can be creative and driven (bonadoochi, even the mini quilt up there ^^ shows that I think) when I am inspired.
- I am super untidy and it stifles me. I need to get my sh*t organised so I can feel less burdened by it all.
- My health has a direct impact on McMojo and having spent the last 6 months in various stages of poorliness, it's time to set up and take responsibility for becoming healthier. I hope that this involves #sweatnsew but it will definitely mean better eating. I am loving "A Modern Way to Eat" by Anna Jones and feel inspired to return to my vegetarian past (part time anyway) as a way of boosting my immune system.
- McMojo will not be told what to do. For much of the past few months, I have tried to make her go to rehab, she said no, no, no! I need to trust that McMojo will work it out and come home to me. I really think she is on her way back, which is nice. She needs to be inspired home.
- I love love love Instagram but miss the in-depth inspiration that blogs give me. I have badly neglected my blog reading and commenting this year (I feel really bad about this). I hate Bloglovin' with an unnecessary passion so need to sort all of this out. Inspiration from my fellow creators is key to pushing me on.
So here is my plan, I am going to buy myself a new sewing machine this year (not sure which one) but will only do so if I actually use my current one and finish things. I am not going to list what I will make now as things change and you never know what direction they will take but there are a number of WIPS that need whipped and some things I'd really like to make. I will aim for one make a month, excluding bee blocks! I will try not to get enticed by swaps but never say never.
Onwards and upwards (now to find my seam ripper under all of this mess......)